A young man has died after drinking tea made from poppies he stole from Tasmania's commercial poppy crop, police say.
The body of the 17-year-old was discovered in his home about 6pm on Sunday.
Detective Inspector John Arnold said the death was a tragedy and he feared there was a generation of young people in Tasmania unaware of the dangers of ingesting poppies.
He warned the narcotics in poppies were extremely dangerous and could be lethal.
"This individual has entered a poppy crop and stolen a quantity of poppies that they've then treated so they can ingest them," Det Insp Arnold said.
He said the concentration of narcotics in a poppy capsule varies depending on how mature the flower is, climate and growing conditions, making it difficult for people to judge the potency of poppies they are ingesting.
"As the flowers mature the toxicity in the flowers also develops," he said.
"That's one of the dangers in generating your own opiate product."
There was a poppy-related death in February last year but before that no lives had been lost in Tasmania since 2004.
Police and the Poppy Control Board have been able to reduce the theft of poppies through rigorous monitoring of the commercial crops.
They have cut the number of thefts from 10,000 in the 2005-06 growing season to about 687 last year, Det Insp Arnold said.
"It's been declining but there's almost a generation of kids that don't realise the dangers of cooking up poppies and ingesting them."
Police said the coroner was preparing a report on the death and investigations into the circumstances surrounding the death are continuing.