Cooler weather has brought relief to firefighters in NSW's south, but hot and windy conditions in the state's north are opening up new areas of severe fire danger.
Fire crews were dealing with 141 fires across the state, 31 of them uncontained, at 9.30am (AEDT) on Wednesday.
Since Tuesday, the fires have burnt through more than 131,000 hectares but on one of NSW's worst ever fire danger days, only one home is believed to have been lost at Jugiong, near the ACT border.
Around 1700 firefighters worked through the night to put in containment lines.
They were assisted in the state's south by a southerly change bringing cooler conditions.
The cool reprieve is expected to only be short-lived however, with temperatures forecast to climb again by the end of the week.
"We don't need new fires today," Rural Fire Service (RFS) Deputy Commissioner Rob Rogers said on Wednesday morning.
He said the cooler change in the southern part of the state meant numerous fires there were not burning so aggressively but firefighters still had a lot of work to do.
"Of equal concern is the severe fire danger in the Hunter and all the way up to the Queensland border and all the way out to the Moree area," he told ABC Radio.
"It's far from over ... we're dealing with a whole lot of new fire danger that we didn't have yesterday.
On Wednesday morning the RFS had five watch and act alerts in place with the Cobbler Road fire near Yass of most concern.
It burnt through around 16,000 hectares overnight and it's feared stock losses may be in the thousands along with fencing losses.
Fire crews are protecting remote rural properties in the area as the fire approaches.
At Lithgow more than 50 firefighters are battling a blaze that temporarily closed the Bells Line of Road in the Blue Mountains but Asst Comm Rogers said crews were confident they would control it.
Bulldozers were putting in containment lines and firefighters were protecting rural properties on Hartley Valley Road.
The Mates Gully fire that threatened homes at Tarcutta on the Hume Highway on Tuesday was contained on Wednesday morning, RFS group captain Alan Brown told AAP.
"We have a very large area with an extremely long perimeter to black out but we do have favourable weather conditions.
"We're working hard to make sure we don't lose it again."
Mr Brown said there had been stock and shed losses and extensive damage to fences as well as some power poles, causing local power cuts.
Another fire of concern is in the Kybeyan Valley in the Cooma-Monaro region where firefighters are protecting isolated properties.
Crews are working to reopen the Princes Highway as the Deans Gap fire in the Shoalhaven continues to burn, having gone through 3800 hectares.
Firefighters there are deployed along the Sussex Inlet Road protecting properties and evacuation centres are open in Sussex Inlet at the Bowling Club and the RSL.
A statewide fire ban remains in place with many national parks, reserves and state forests closed to the public.