The body of convicted rapist Antonio Loguancio has been found in a bungalow after a two-day siege in Melbourne came to a fiery end.
Police say the siege escalated about 1pm (AEDT) on Sunday when a number of shots were fired from the bungalow at the rear of a property in Glenroy.
The bungalow caught fire around 2pm and firefighters found Loguancio's body when they extinguished the blaze.
Loguancio had been holed up in the Justin Avenue property since 7pm on Friday but the stand off came to an end after loud bangs heard coming from the property were followed by billowing smoke.
Ambulances and fire trucks parked outside the house in the normally quiet suburban street began to leave around 4pm, to be replaced by homicide squad detectives.
Deputy police commissioner Tim Cartwright said police had tried to talk Loguancio out of the bungalow throughout the siege.
"His behaviour continued to escalate. At about two o'clock this afternoon the bungalow was seen to be on fire," he said.
"The fire brigade eventually attended those premises but as always the safety of the fire brigade was critical.
"When we were eventually able to control the fire, the body of a man was found inside the premises.
"This is a tragedy. Our aim is always to resolve these situations with the minimum of injury and loss of life.
"We need to protect the people involved, we need to protect the members of the public, we need to protect out own members."
The homicide squad will investigate the death.
The bungalow was in the backyard of a rental property which is currently listed for sale.
Neighbouring homes were evacuated, as police cars, fire trucks and paramedics set up outside the house.
Nearby residents crowded along the police tape cordoning off sections of the street and were repeatedly ordered by police to stand back during the 45-hour siege.
Throughout Sunday, police used a loudspeaker to communicate with Loguancio.
"Come to the front door with nothing in your hands. Walk down the driveway and you will be met by police," police negotiators told Loguancio.
Loguancio was alone in the bungalow and emerged briefly at one stage on Saturday.
Police spotted an object strapped to his body but were unable to establish if it was a firearm.
Police had described Loguancio as a significant risk to the community after he breached a supervision order and allegedly assaulted his partner before going into hiding.
He had threatened to harm himself and others after making contact with police while on the run.
He was released on a supervision order after being jailed for 12 years for multiple counts of rape, assault and other offences.
Loguancio's best friend, Mick Collett, had spoken to him over the phone during the standoff and told AAP his mate was not a monster.
"I'm worried he's going to hurt himself," Mr Collett said on Saturday.
He said Loguancio was agitated and panicky and was worried he was going to be shot when he spoke to him on Saturday.