Man has surgery after ingesting wire in pizza

ninemsn staff
10:31am April 21, 2013

A prestigious Italian restaurant in Victoria has been fined $60,000 after a customer choked on a piece of wire that had become lodged in the crust of a pizza he was eating.

The diner, who has not been named, was eating at DOC Mornington in October when he ingested a 3cm bristle that had come off an oven cleaning brush and made its way into his pizza, the Herald Sun reports.

The man was forced to undergo emergency surgery and spent several days in hospital after the wire became stuck in his throat.

DOC Mornington is part of the award-winning DOC group of Italian restaurants.

The eatery pleaded guilty to four charges, including the sale of unsafe food, and was fined under the Food Act.

The story has come to light after DOC Mornington was added to the Victorian Health Department’s food safety “name and shame” database.

Source: Herald Sun

Author: Martin Zavan, Approving editor: Fiona Willan

© ninemsn 2014
Do you have any story leads, photos or videos?