A talented Northern Territory hockey player has died after he mistook a deadly snake for a python.
Karl Berry, 26, was bitten when he picked up the snake to remove it from the Commerce-Pints Hockey Club complex in Darwin.
St John Ambulance operations manager Craig Garraway told the NT News Mr Berry had thought the snake was a python.
He said when paramedics arrived, Mr Berry was conscious and told them about the snake.
"For 10 to 15 minutes we tried to figure out what he had been doing and he mentioned he had removed a snake off the hockey field and put it into bushes," Mr Garraway told the NT News.
But Mr Garraway said paramedics who examined the bite mark believed the snake was poisonous.
The paper said it was believed to have been a young brown snake.
Mr Berry was the club's A-grade captain.