Two men are believed to have turned themselves in to police over the apparently unprovoked bashing of a young man in Sydney's CBD in the early hours of Sunday.
Cremorne Point resident Simon Cramp, 26, was left in a critical condition after the vicious attack.
It's believed Mr Cramp was assaulted by a group of about three men, who were accompanied by three young women.
He woke in a hospital bed last night as he briefly came out of his coma and asked his mother, "Hey mum, what's happened?".
His mother Angela Cramp told Macquarie Radio that her son had opened his eyes after two days in an induced coma.
"He started sort of coming awake, and we were talking to him, he sort of fluttered his eyes and said `Hey mum, what's happened?'," she told the radio network.
Mrs Cramp said she was uplifted by her son's progress but added that doctors warned the family not to read too much into it.
Police have been interested in talking to a number of people captured on CCTV.
Earlier yesterday, acting Rocks police superintendent Tony Bell compared the incident with the fatal attack on Thomas Kelly in Kings Cross last year.
Mr Kelly, 18, died last July two days after being king hit as he walked along the street during a night out with his girlfriend.
Supt Bell said shortly after 3.20am (AEST) on Sunday there was a brawl involving two groups of people outside an all-night fast food restaurant on the corner of George and Bridge streets.
One man was injured in that altercation.
Soon afterwards a group of men launched what appears to be an unprovoked attack on Mr Cramp about 30m down the road.
"He's just there with his group of friends, doing nothing wrong at all," Supt Bell told Fairfax Radio.
"This could have been another Thomas Kelly incident - an innocent bystander doing nothing wrong, out having a great night ... with his friends and copping a punch to the head for no reason," he said.