Commission to probe Salvos on child abuse

2:48pm December 6, 2013

The Salvation Army's response to alleged child sex abuse at a number of its children's homes in Queensland and NSW will be examined in 2014.

The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse says the probe into the religious organisation would start on January 28.

It says the public hearing will investigate the Salvos' response to allegations of child abuse in Queensland at the Alkira Home for Boys at Indooroopilly, and the Riverview Training Farm at Riverview.

The hearing will also look at its responses to claims of abuse in NSW at Bexley Boys Home, in Bexley, and Gill Memorial Home, at Goulburn.

In a statement, the commission said the hearing would examine the Salvation Army's processes in investigating, disciplining, removing and transferring anyone "accused of, or found to have engaged in, child sexual abuse in these homes".

The commission's chief executive, Janette Dines, urged anyone who suffered sexual abuse as a child at the homes to come forward.

"We are in the process of gathering information relevant to this matter and would like to hear from as many people as possible," Ms Dines said in a statement.

"People's experiences will help to inform the Royal Commission as to how The Salvation Army responded to allegations of child sexual abuse."

Earlier this week, the royal commission said it had referred 54 matters to authorities, including police.

It has so far received around 8500 phone calls, 3000 emails and 170,000 visits to its website.

© AAP 2014
Do you have any story leads, photos or videos?