Kidnapped Australian gives up hope

AAP
7:38am December 27, 2012
December 27, 2012: Australian Warren Rodwell has released a video more than a year after being kidnapped by Muslim militants in the Philippines, saying he holds "no hope" of being released.

An Australian man kidnapped by suspected Muslim extremists in the Philippines more than a year ago has recorded a video message, saying he has given up hope of being released.

Warren Rodwell, from Sydney, was seized from his home in the southern Philippine town of Ipil on December 5, 2011.

It was believed that he was taken by the Abu Sayyaf group, which he confirms in the new video.

The SITE monitoring group said the one minute and 57 second clip had been posted on a YouTube channel linked to Abu Sayyaf.

In it, Rodwell says the date is December 16, 2012 and holds a newspaper from the previous day. He says he was kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf 54 weeks ago.

The kidnappers demanded an initial ransom of $22,224 from Ms Gutang, who said she had no ways of raising the funds, according to police.

He last appeared in a video in May that was believed to be dated from the end of March. In another video in January, reportedly sent to his Filipina wife Miraflor Gutang, Rodwell said his captors were demanding US$2 million in ransom.

At the time, Philippine authorities said it was possible Rodwell was being held by the Abu Sayyaf, an Islamic extremist group founded in the 1990s with seed money from Al-Qaeda.

© ninemsn 2014
Do you have any story leads, photos or videos?