A US mother-of-four has had her legs and fingers amputated after she suffered a rare blood infection when she was bitten by her daughter’s dog.
Texas dog lover Robin Sullins, 48, was bitten on Christmas Day after she stepped in to break up a fight between two family dogs, ABC News reported.
Despite suffering only a minor cut to her arm, she became violently ill in the following days and was admitted to hospital.
Doctors were required to amputate Ms Sullins’ legs and all her fingers except a thumb to stop the fast-moving bacteria, Capnocytophaga canimorsus, that had gotten into her bloodstream.
Ms Sullins’ mother, Carol Wilson told ABC News that her daughter’s rapid decline was “like a horror movie.”
"Both of her legs had turned black below the knees," she said.
Infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Dr William Schaffner, said the bacteria – commonly found in the mouths of healthy cats and dogs – was not generally dangerous.
Extreme reactions, like the one suffered by Ms Sullins, were usually experienced by people with a pre-existing condition, he said.
On a website created to raise funds for her medical expenses, Ms Sullins’ daughter wrote that her mother was unemployed and uninsured at the time of her accident.
Author: Sylvia Varnham O'Regan, Approving editor: Mark Worley