A 16-year-old girl has miraculously survived being bitten by six rattlesnakes in one go after she accidentally stepped on a nest in the US.
Vera Oliphant was visiting her uncle in San Diego, California, on October 27 when she walked up a hill near his house to try to get a phone signal.
"I thought I heard rattles behind me so I ran away but then I stepped into the snake nest under a pile of leaves," Ms Oliphant told ABC News.
"First the mother snake bit my foot then the baby snakes bit me."
The teenager ran back to her uncle's house in a fog, her eyesight and consciousness fading fast.
"I was feeling numb and paralysed. I had black vision and I saw bubbles," she said.
"It felt like needles were stabbing me… it burned so hard it felt like a bomb just exploded in me.
"The pain, on a scale of one to 10 it was like, 45."
When she reached the house she was too weak to ring the doorbell and had to yell for her uncle who quickly drove her to hospital.
The teenager still managed to post a message on her Facebook wall on the way to hospital.
"I got bit by a rattle snake & now I'm about to go to I.C.U. it hurts like a ---- & my leg is paralysed," she wrote.
Ms Oliphant spent four days in intensive care after going into anaphylactic shock and losing consciousness four times.
Doctors told her it would take two to three months to fully recover.
"I will still feel a weird sensation when stepping on my left leg for years," Ms Oliphant said.
Author: Alys Francis. Approving editor: Nick Pearson.
Source: ABC News.