Surgeon 'left 16 items in man during operation'

Martin Zavan, ninemsn
2:55pm January 16, 2013

The family of an elderly German man who died after a surgeon allegedly left 16 different items inside his body during an operation for prostate cancer are seeking over $120,000 in compensation.

Dirk Schroeder, 74, underwent routine surgery in 2009 but the procedure failed to relieve his pain and within three months he was back in hospital after a nurse who visited him at his home in Hannover noticed a gauze pad protruding from one of his wounds.

In two subsequent operations sixteen items were removed from his body including a needle, a six-inch roll of bandage, swabs and a piece of a surgical mask.

Mr Schroeder survived the procedures but died last year after his cancer spread.

His family are now seeking $121,000 from the hospital, that has not been identified.

The family's lawyer and medical expert Annette Corinth said such a blunder was "unique in medical literature".

The hospital has denied the items were left inside Mr Schroeder during his prostate operation, saying the items had entered his body after the surgery.

"I hope the hospital will settle but otherwise the family are prepared to go all the way and sue in court," Ms Corinth said.

"The family of the deceased spent lots of money on care, medicines and reconstruction of their home to look after this man."

"There has been gross negligence here which most probably had led to complications and possibly a quicker death."

Source: Daily Mail

Author: Martin Zavan, Approving editor: Nick Pearson

© ninemsn 2014
Do you have any story leads, photos or videos?