A Welsh boy's pet parrot saved its owner from a house fire by "dive-bombing" the showering teen until he realised what was going on and fled the inferno.
Ben Rees, 17, sparked the fire in his bedroom in Carmarthenshire, in the south west of Wales, on Thursday when he lit an incense stick before getting into the shower, the BBC reports.
Embers from the stick set his bed on fire and the smoke alarmed his pet cockatiel, Cookie, who got the boy's attention, allowing him to call the fire brigade and escape.
Cookie could not be saved.
Ben's mother Vicky Rees, 48, said the bird "died a hero" and called it her son's "guardian angel".
"Cookie sensed danger and seemed to know that Ben hadn't realised his bedroom was on fire," Mrs Rees said.
"If he hadn't squawked and flapped like that I'm sure Ben would have died in there too."
She lamented the bird's death and said the family would "never forget what he did".
Ben was treated for shock at the scene and given oxygen by paramedics.
Cookie was buried in the backyard of the family's home.
Author: Martin Zavan, Approving editor: Nick Pearson