An English family grieving over a man's death has lashed out at doctors after they confused a pea in his lung for a cancerous tumour.
William Lintern, 85, of Birmingham, died of a chest infection on February 6 after developing severe pneumonia, the Birmingham Mail reports.
The great grandfather had been admitted to hospital mid-January after suffering shortness of breath.
He was diagnosed with a "sizeable, aggressive tumour" only to be told in early February that the blockage in his lung was actually a pea which had gone down the wrong way.
Doctors removed the pea but Mr Lintern already developed pneumonia and he died the following day.
His son, Roger Lintern, 56, said his father was devastated at the cancer diagnosis and "lost the will to live."
"His body started to pack up and he was convinced he wouldn’t survive," he said.
Wife Molly, 79, said her husband was "scared rigid and basically worried himself to death."
The family is now considering legal action against Heartlands Hospital, where Mr Lintern was treated.
But the hospital's medical director Dr Aresh Anwar said: "If there is a case where we have not delivered the best care possible, we will always investigate into why and how we can do things better."
Author: Sylvia Varnham O'Regan, Approving editor: Erin Tennant