A mother-of-three who died suddenly in her bed might be the first woman in the UK to have died from a cannabis overdose.
A coroner found that 31-year-old Gemma Moss might have died from an elevated level of cannabis leading to cardiac arrest last October when she collapsed in her bed after smoking a joint.
An autopsy of the avid church-goer found nothing wrong with her vital organs, although it was suggested her heart attack may have been caused by the moderate-to-high levels of cannabis in her system.
Do you have a photo or video that should be published on ninemsn? Or do you have information that could lead to a news story? Let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the elevated levels of marijuana toxicity, the coroner recorded Ms Moss's verdict as death by cannabis abuse, the Daily Mail reports.
While fans of the plant often claim that no one has died from overdosing on marijuana directly, Ms Moss is the second instance case of cannabis toxicity being recorded as the sole cause of death in the UK.
In 2004 a 36-year-old man became the first person in Great Britain to have a cannabis toxicity recorded as cause of death.
David Raynes of the UK's National Drug Prevention Alliance told the Daily Mail that it was "extremely rare and unusual" for a coroner's report to list marijuana as a cause of death.
"It has often been said that cannabis doesn't cause death. Users usually pass out before they can take enough cannabis to kill them," Mr Raynes said.
"This case serves as a warning that cannabis can cause immense harm."
Ms Moss, a devout Christian, was a frequent user of cannabis but had taken a two year hiatus from the drug before her death. It is believed she started using the drug as a sleeping aide to quell her anxiety and depression following a split with her boyfriend.
Source: Daily Mail
Author: Nicholas McCallum, Approving editor: Martin Zavan